Monday, November 7, 2011

Snoooooww!

So maybe for some people the first snow is like an awakening to them that indeed the holidays are about to come forth.. with good cheer and happy feelings..maybe your thinking about that delicious pumpkin pie you'll be making, or if you'll get a real or fake Christmas tree this year.. I'm sure all your all hearing that lovely Christmas music in your cars already.. Well snow for me ( a missionary) means it's freezing! And I have to walk in that white stuff all day! and like that wonderful book by shel Silverstein.. Montana is "Where the Sidewalk Ends". literally.  I don't know how people in live in these climates? Honestly. The winter hasn't even actually begun and yet every morning I wake up it's 18 degrees with a windchill.. AHHHHHHHHHHH. Oh and our zone decided we should walk one day every week the entire day we can't touch our car, so that's been fun/frigid.. maybe I will get frost bite. Ok enough of that. I am actually super happy about the holidays coming because they are great conversation starters.. but the cold. no thanks. Sister Davidson will endure the cold for the next 10 months but after that.. it's warm weather for the rest of my life! Why would anyone choose to live in complete darkness and cold for 6 months out of the year? it baffles me. I was meant for the Pacific Ocean.. in a warm state. and that is where I will reside later.. but for now I will enjoy the days that i get to bundle up in everything I own and still freeze.. hah
     Well we tracted a lot this week. And we had some pretty interesting encounters.. haha those of you that have been on missions where tracting is a regularity.. can probably agree that it is the most entertaining thing ever. you meet the most diverse kinds of people.. and not like racial diversity (because everyone in Montana is white and either from canada or have always lived here) but you just get the most random encounters.. some are really cool.. I'll just give you a couple examples from this week

Door 1. "Hey we are the missionaries with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints"..Old lady says.. "Oh that church down the road, are you the same as the Mormons"?  "Yes that's us".. a pause.. then she says "Oh well you know I have met so many nice people that are Mormon, and I have been wondering for some time about what your services are like.. can i come to your services on Sunday? Do you allow visitiors"? For a missionary that is simply priceless.

Door 2. Same type of Missionary intro... This ones a man about 45ish.. he says "Yeah I went on a mission myself, that was a long time ago".. awkward pause.. and then of course I'm all excited like "Really that's so awesome where'd you go"?  he replies (and you could honestly feel the guilt emanating from him) "South Carolina.. and I also taught at the MTC".  I'm like what in the heck do I say.. he is not on our ward list.. so he's either excommunicated or just got lost in the mix since his inactivity.. but he taught at the MTC so he had to of had a testimony at some point.. i felt like I should ask him what the most spiritual part of his mission was.. but I didn't I just said.. well we'd love to see you at church, we'll be there if you ever want to come back. Geez i'm so awkward.. haha but I want to find out more on this guy.. so we'll be going back.

    Ian and his family weren't home on Halloween.. I'm guessing he forgot it was a holiday when he set the appointment.. so were going back tonight! Cross your fingers!.. I love missionary work. Sometimes the things you have to do feel quite like scratching your nails down a chalk board.. you just have to totally get out of your comfort bubble.. there is no comfort on a mission.. but that's the exciting part.. your becoming something new.. changing into something better than you were before.. understanding yourself more than ever.. and at the same time understanding the Savior more than ever as well because of the fact that you really have to rely on him. Your placed into situation after situation where you don't know  anyone.. and you have one main purpose teaching people about the restoration and Jesus Christ. It's just awesome. There is nothing like it. I'm glad I came. 
Love ya'lls

No comments:

Post a Comment