Monday, May 23, 2011

Letter May 16, 2011

Hi Lovely family,


Well this week was seriously insane! It was verrry hard! One day it rained the entire day and i was so freezing that i could barely even walk around... I was dying. haha.
So this week went to our meeting with an investigator who is an older lady.. We watched the movie the "The Testaments" with her which is a great movie all about Jesus Christ coming to the America's after his Resurrection. She seemed to really like it. Afterwards my companion asked if she had felt like what we had been teaching her the past few weeks was true and she said yes.. then we asked her if she felt the book of Mormon was true and she said "yes".. so then we asked if she had prayed and received and answer that it was true and she said.. "yeah and i feel like I'm a good person, and that my family is good, yada yada" and we were like cool... So then my companion says... as you continue reading and praying about these things will you follow the example of Jesus Christ by being baptized? Then the lady starts SCREAMING.... "I HAVE ALREADY BEEN BAPTIZED I ALREADY HAVE A CHURCH I ALREADY AM A GOOD PERSON". We were floored! My companion was just sitting there with her mouth wide open... so i say.. well we know you're a great person and that you have done well we just came to share a message about the restored gospel. SO then we left.. What was weird about that was that her daughter actually went on a mission... and is a member... and she said she already had a church but she doesn't actually go to church. so it was hard for my companion cause the lady really screamed loud. it was scary. but oh well:)

Then last night we went to a couple that has been getting the lessons for 9 months. They had been doing really well and were coming to church, reading the scriptures, praying. Anyway we taught them about eternal marriage and the temple last night and the Fowlers ( the older couple we live with who are both converts) came and talked about marriage before and after the temple and how blessed their relationship was after the temple. The investigators didn't seem too interested.. the lady said she hates children and doesn't understand why young boys of age 16 are aloud to pass "Christ's" sacrament.. There was alot of awkward moments where they just seemed disengaged.. i kept feeling like I should ask her how she felt about the book of Mormon (since she had read the whole thing, and I knew that she told the previous sisters that it was true) and so i asked her and she said... yeah it was a good book but I am just not going to join your church... not that it isn't true or good but I CANT give up coffee! that is just too much... I was shocked. My companion and the Fowler's were speechless because these two had come sooo far the last NINE months and now she was saying there is no way they can join the church because the Word of Wisdom is too much. It was like they broke up with us... they gave back all the material they had the past nine months and said they can't say it isn't true but they aren't ready to live it. So needless to say this week has been difficult. I have learned alot about patience and loving people no matter how they treat you.

I wish i had more of an uplifting message this week. but there were good things that happened as well. We are doing our best to be the best missionaries possible. I love it here. I know that the church is true regardless of the hard week that we had.. if anything it strengthens my testimony of the validity of the Book of Mormon being another testament of Jesus Christ.. If we follow all the precepts... not matter how hard some may seem to follow...things like coffee become trivial to the immense blessings in store for us if we just follow Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment