Monday, May 2, 2011

Letter May 2, 2011



Hello Family!!!
Wow I am here in Montana... Let me just tell you it is freeeeeeezing!!! Like 35 degrees with wind that is super cold.. And yes snow!!! Yesterday, Sunday we were tracting in the snow for almost two hours and I was sooo cold. i can't even explain it... but apparently it snows here always. I am not in the city of billings actually, my area is billings but it is actually like an hour away from billings. The people here say that it snows in the summer.. We live next to the redlodge ski resort... I am in living on a ranch/farm that is like 10 miles away from a tiny town called Red Lodge. Basically we are out in the boonies! The only reason we have a truck is to drive to one of the tiny towns we serve in.. Red Lodge, Absorke, Joiliet and Colombus. So we are out and about walking all day... so all those who think sisters can drive everywhere... ya your wrong! I freeze all day. haha but it is sooo awesome. these tiny towns are filled with some of the most down to earth people I have ever met before. I love them. they just tell you how it is!! hah sometimes it gets kinds graphic.  We live with an older couple the Fowler's. Brother Fowler built this house all by himself. it's little cozy and nice... there is soooo much land out here it is gorgeous. I honestly think I have seen as many dear as there are people... and I have seen a bunch of hawks which is cool. oh and dogs are everywhere!!!!!  oh p.s sometimes you just see random parts of animals.. such as dear legs.. hence the picture
The people here are soo sweet. We have a few investigators and so many things have happened that I don't know how to fit it all in... so I'll just tell you a few.
Jane- Jane is about 75 years old. she lives in a nursing home but is rather capable. She is the sweetest lady I have met in my entire life. This week we went and taught her the first lesson... or rather the spirit taught her. I had spent my morning studying the first lesson and Joseph Smith's first vision... which i basically had memorized... but in the lesson My mouth just moved and I have no idea how i taught her with such clarity... I was like whoa what did I just say? I looked over and my companion was crying which I had never seen her do in a lesson before... Before you know it all three of us were crying as Jane said.. "You are teaching me this and i feel like it is true, like it is something that I have known before and you are just helping me remember, i think god sent you to help me remember". I wish i could convey all the things that happened in that lesson... but it was just a miracle. I love missionary work... there is soooo much to be done.. Every single being on this earth needs to hear the message of the restored gospel.. why? because it brings them peace and happiness in this life and the one to come with our Heavenly Father.
I have met many families while I have been here and they are just so amazing and sweet.. one in particular are the Wards... Sister ward was baptized 6 months ago but you would have thought she was relief society president the last 10 years.. she is adorable! And her three cute daughters and so sweet. one of them is 9 and was just baptized.. Oh by the way her middle daughter accidentally fell when she was showing me a picture of her grandparents on top of the piano... which meant the piano bench (filled with books) fell on my foot.. haha seriously I thought my toes were broken... but my whole foot on top is black and blue... charming. :)
I have never even been to a real branch before. it is sooo small compared to the huge wards in California.. or Utah. or even singles wards anywhere. there are prob only 30 people in the branch... so I have met all of them. there is so much i could tell you about them.. but i don't have time! One funny thing/silly thing is that they all think the end of the world is like tomorrow. Ha the natural disasters and such really get to them... which they should but they focus on it alot... hah anyhow.
I now know how it feels to get rejected on a daily basis... It is hard!!!!! First off I am somewhat shy talking to people I don't know.. it's awkward to knock on the doors of people you don't know and invite them to listen to your message. if only they knew how important it was! or how happy it could make them!!!
Oh my companion is sooo cute.. she is a great singer.. and in fact she makes me sing on a daily basis to our investigators and everywhere we teach! The first time it happened I was like... what the I can't sing in front of these people! But ever since I have been doing it I have felt the spirit enter the room and a calmness. it is great. I actually love it now... Weird! I never would have done it if it weren't for her.
Love you all... please write to me!! I need it

2 comments:

  1. I am proud of you Rachelle! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like you are in my home town in KY. I would rather live in the country than anywhere. Better people. Better scenery. Better food. The field is white, all ready to harvest.

    ReplyDelete